8.12.2012

Lolo and Lola


Grandparents.

They tell me wonderful stories about life when they were young. How everything is so opposite before and the very different childhood they had. For years I have witnessed their ups and downs so now I would like to share some more information about my Lolo Chato (grandfather) and Lola Narding (grandmother). They're the only grandparents I know. Lolo Chato is stiff, and acts like he doesn't care about what-when-where in our everyday life but I truly know that deep inside he does. While Lola Narding on the other hand, is so humble, forgetful (he he he at times) and a martyr. 

My Lola says that Lolo worked all his life to earn money until he had his own business, audio and lighting hire for party and events. This doesn't just make music and lights, they make great sound and as far as I can remember, an awesome mobile set up with the help of his crew (consisted of some members of the family, i.e., cousins and uncle & friends of cousins). I'm not sure but I think the first DJ was Uncle Sergio, now it's my cousin, JP. Lolo also cooks this "ginaling / giniling" we used to buy at a kitchenette (ground pork with chopped carrots and whatever) with an egg and makes it an omelet, oh I can taste and smell it at this very moment!!! And you know what, I passed this simple recipe to my kids, they so love it and i do, too coz they keep adding rice every time I serve this special omelet! Hi hi hi hi...

Palm wine or "tuba / bahalina" in our dialect (Visayan | Leyte, Philippines) was popular when I was a kid. Mixed with Pepsi (now it's mixed with Coke since Pepsi is rare) was a favorite drink of Lola Narding. I do recall the taste of it especially when I hear someone saying that he/she misses this drink. Lolo would tease her (grandmother) in front of me that she's a drunk then Lola would pinch his ear. *sigh* I miss them everyday! Both of them were very supportive especially Lola Narding. She encouraged me to do anything that I was able to do. She was always there in my recognition and graduation days to put on awards and medals (though I didn't get too many, but I still did he he he). Also, she used to come after me from the internet cafe (year 1998 - 2002, we didn't have a personal computer at that time yet VERY LONG TIME) or at my bestfriend's house.

One quick fact for the readers who wasn't able to read my past blog regarding my grandparents, I was raised by them and lived with them.

I know many of you are wondering, where are they now? Well.. They live together at our house in Leyte and hopefully next year the five of us can transfer there to be a very happy family. I never realized how brilliant they are until the time I cried out loud missing them. 

No comments: