9.16.2010

The Oxytocin in me.

I'm pretty sure you guys do not know what the Oxytocin is, and I'm here to give you a little knwledge about it because I have had a couple of doses after my C/S.


Oxytocin is a naturally-occurring hormone that stimulates the smooth muscle of the uterus to contract. It is most effective at term when the uterine muscle is most sensitive, but it can have stimulatory effects even early in pregnancy. Oxytocin is used to induce labor, to stimulate pre-existing labor, and as a uterotonic agent to reduce postpartum bleeding.

Now, have you guessed which one was for me? Yup, to reduce postpartum bleeding. It was really a big help though I suffered so much pain everytime my uterus contracted, most especially the times I breastfed my baby.

Good thing my doctors gave me oxytocin, now I do not have to worry about getting my uterus into its pre-pregnant size! (Well, that's what my doctors told me. Blah.)

Thank God I survived the C-Section WITHOUT HAVING BEEN GOING THRU THE PROCESS OF BLOOD TRANSFUSION.

What can I say? I am a lucky girl, I really am..

No comments: